Toyota's unconventional design approach with the Mirai - Fuel Cell Vehicles Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Toyota's unconventional design approach with the Mirai

The Mirai has seen a lot of controversy over the years, but one aspect that's rarely mentioned is its unique cabin design. The digital display/gauge cluster is centralized in the middle of the dash and there is also a very unique take on the gear shifter. What do we think of all the swoops and curves used throughout?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Love it. With the move to reducing our carbon foot print and our impact on the earth, minimalism becomes a hot topic.
The demo likely to buy (millennials) are also a big proponent for the minimalist approach, in every way of life as it seems.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:09 PM

I actually like the unique design approach that Toyota decided on with the Mirai. I think if they had just waited a few years and were able to bring deliver it a more approachable price, that it would've done a lot better. From inside the cabin you'd never know it was a FCV and I think that will be the goal for all future models.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I think the Clarity is an excellent example of how modernized the approach to FCV has become. The previous generation looked highly unconventional compared to the rest of the models in Honda's lineup.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamm View Post
I actually like the unique design approach that Toyota decided on with the Mirai. I think if they had just waited a few years and were able to bring deliver it a more approachable price, that it would've done a lot better. From inside the cabin you'd never know it was a FCV and I think that will be the goal for all future models.
I believe that down the road we'll see more toyota products with lexus influence, so far the new Camry and Avalon does exactly that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 PM

There is no doubt that Toyota is trying to work this powertrain into a more affordable mass market EV, but that's easier said than done. If Hyundai has priced the Nexo that closely to the Mirai, then there must not have been much advancement with the technology over the past few years.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamm View Post
There is no doubt that Toyota is trying to work this powertrain into a more affordable mass market EV, but that's easier said than done. If Hyundai has priced the Nexo that closely to the Mirai, then there must not have been much advancement with the technology over the past few years.
Sometimes they overuse powertrains but the concern with that is with higher end products. Most other automakers couldn't get away with that approach.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page